DIN vs. Yoke Valves

Ever wondered what the difference is between a DIN and a Yoke valve? Never heard of either one? Here’s your chance to learn:

DIN valve:

The DIN valve is named after the standards institute that created it called (in German) Deutsches Institut für Normung or (in English) the German Institute for Standards. DIN valves are generally used internationally but may vary due to different regulations. In the United States DIN is typically used for high pressure setups (Steel scuba tanks) because Yoke valves can’t handle pressure over 300 bars / 4500 PSI.

Find out more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_regulator

Yoke valve:

Yoke valves are the most common type of valve found on Aluminum scuba tanks (cylinders) in the United States. They are characterized by a neck in the shape of a T and have a prominent o-ring. Your regulator’s first stage is placed over the Yoke valve and sealed with an A-clamp that screws tight.

Find out more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-clamp